ST. PAUL, Va. - Although we learned the Virginia City Hybrid Energy Center is one of the cleanest coal plants, it is still not up to EPA guidelines.
We learned that the EPA currently has regulations against mercury, sulfur oxide and nitrogen oxide.
CEO of Dominion Tom Farrell tells News 5 that currently the hybrid plant captures all of those.
However, the EPA has added new regulations against carbon. We've learned there is not technology available yet to capture its emissions.
Farrell tells us that the plant is compatible for upgrades in the future. "This plant is compatible for the technology for when it's finally developed, which it's still on the developing phase. A lot of people are working on that," said Farrell.
- FTC, Wellmont and MSHA speak in front of SWVa. Health Authority
- VP candidate Pence not hurt when plane skids off runway
- Chelsea Clinton garnering young voters at Appalachian State University
- Kingsport man trying to make Halloween attractions accessible to all
- Tennessee voters encouraged to vote early