ST. PAUL, Va. - Although we learned the Virginia City Hybrid Energy Center is one of the cleanest coal plants, it is still not up to EPA guidelines.
We learned that the EPA currently has regulations against mercury, sulfur oxide and nitrogen oxide.
CEO of Dominion Tom Farrell tells News 5 that currently the hybrid plant captures all of those.
However, the EPA has added new regulations against carbon. We've learned there is not technology available yet to capture its emissions.
Farrell tells us that the plant is compatible for upgrades in the future. "This plant is compatible for the technology for when it's finally developed, which it's still on the developing phase. A lot of people are working on that," said Farrell.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend