WISE COUNTY, Va. - Local law enforcement officers were treated to a meal Wednesday as a sign of thanks.
Correctional officers often work in conjuction with their law enforcement partners. For that effort, they wanted to make sure to show gratitude.
They said one of the best ways of celebrating is to enjoy a meal together. Superintendent Fate Fleming said it is a simple sign to say 'thank you' for those officers putting their life on the line.
"Inviting them to come in and eat with us just to have a moment away from that job just to be able to relax and let them know how much we appreciate them," Fleming said.
Fleming said the lunch is just one way they try and stay involved in the community. They even sent boxed lunches to stations with officers working the night shifts.
- Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone
- "Wreaths Across America" underway at the Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Students helping fellow students at Science Hill High School