WISE COUNTY, Va. - A circuit court reporter in Wise County faces charges of lying to federal and state investigators.
Ernest Benko is accused of providing false information to an FBI agent when he was questioned about his assignment to record sworn statements from a federal witness in a 2009 drug case.
According to the indictment, an attorney under investigation by the FBI hired Benko to record sworn statements from witnesses to falsely represent that the attorney didn't do anything illegal or unethical.
When questioned in September 2012, the indictment charges that Benko denied knowledge of the attorney's drug use.
Benko was arrested Tuesday on making a false statement and conspiracy charges.
Ernie Benko is also listed as CEO and president of Appalachian Regional Community Television.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash