Virginia State Police have confirmed they are investigating Coeburn's interim town manager.
Coeburn Mayor Jess Powers says the town council voted last week to place Loretta Mays on paid administrative leave pending the results of the investigation. Police say they were investigating a financial discrepancy with Lay's Hardware Center for the Arts.
Powers says Mays was the town manager from March 2006 until July 2012. He says that's when the town council officially named her interim manager and her contract is still under consideration.
Powers says he will now serve as interim town manager in addition to mayor.
- Updated Man convicted in massive crack cocaine conspiracy in northeast Tennessee
- Updated Details released on capture of one escaped inmate from Hawkins County
- Authorities search for violent, dangerous escaped inmate
- Shop sells shirts to raise $40K for fallen officer's family
- Case of Greene Co. man accused in shooting sent to grand jury