Virginia State Police have confirmed they are investigating Coeburn's interim town manager.
Coeburn Mayor Jess Powers says the town council voted last week to place Loretta Mays on paid administrative leave pending the results of the investigation. Police say they were investigating a financial discrepancy with Lay's Hardware Center for the Arts.
Powers says Mays was the town manager from March 2006 until July 2012. He says that's when the town council officially named her interim manager and her contract is still under consideration.
Powers says he will now serve as interim town manager in addition to mayor.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash