Virginia State Police have confirmed they are investigating Coeburn's interim town manager.
Coeburn Mayor Jess Powers says the town council voted last week to place Loretta Mays on paid administrative leave pending the results of the investigation. Police say they were investigating a financial discrepancy with Lay's Hardware Center for the Arts.
Powers says Mays was the town manager from March 2006 until July 2012. He says that's when the town council officially named her interim manager and her contract is still under consideration.
Powers says he will now serve as interim town manager in addition to mayor.
- New KPS Global completes $1M expansion in Piney Flats facility
- Exide Technologies withdraws application to reopen, News 5 uncovers dozens of violations in its past
- Southwest Virginia leaders focus on re-entry efforts for inmates
- Wise man who stole ginseng roots given probation
- UPDATE: Bristol assisted living worker pleads guilty to assaulting 94-year-old woman