ABINGDON, Va. - Wine provides a little extra funding each month for four select charities.
Abingdon Vineyard & Winery chooses four local charities to honor each month. People who come in for wine tasting on the weekend will pay five dollars, and they have the choice to donate to one of those charities.
Through the month of April, one of those charities is the Animal Defense League of Washington County. They tell us they put all of the money back into their spay and neuter program.
"By having a cat or dog spayed or neutered, they live longer, they're healthier, they make better pets, and we don't have all of the excess animals go into our shelters at more than half of them are euthanized because they're excess," President Linda Fritsch said.
Other charities the Winery is sponsoring in April include Crossroads Medical Mission, Feeding America, and the Creeper Trail Club.
- New Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin