ABINGDON, Va. - It's a strange but fun way to kick off this year's fundraising campaign for United Way Virginia Highlands -- a beauty contest, but not like what you might think. It was men dressed as contestants.
Eight contestants who were representing the many localities that makes up the five county Virginia Highlands United Way participated. An enthusiastic crowd cheered them on.
This is the first year that the regional United Way will raised fund for all five counties. "It's enabled us to do more. It's grown our capacity. There's things that when we were smaller and independent the way we were we could accomplish certain things. It's enabled us to build the team that we need but also allowed us to do more service in economies of scale," Travis Staton with Virginia Highlands United Way said.
Although not set in stone, this year's fund raising goal is close to $1.5 million.
- Updated Man convicted in massive crack cocaine conspiracy in northeast Tennessee
- Updated One escaped inmate from Hawkins County captured
- Authorities search for violent, dangerous escaped inmate
- Shop sells shirts to raise $40K for fallen officer's family
- Case of Greene Co. man accused in shooting sent to grand jury