WASHINGTON COUNTY, Tenn. - A Jonesborough man is facing charges after police say he almost hit a deputy.
Washington County, Tennessee sheriff Ed Graybeal tells us they arrested Joe Timothy Hankal Friday afternoon. They tell us they originally stopped Hankal after he was seen not wearing a seatbelt.
After being pulled over, officers say Hankal gave a deputy a false name. Sheriff Graybeal tells us after the deputy confronted Hankal about the name, he put his vehicle into 'drive' and took off.
Investigators say if it wasn't for the car's wheels spinning on ice before gaining traction, the deputy could have been seriously hurt.
Deputies later boxed in Hankal and deployed spike strips to stop his car.
Hankal's bond has been set at $61,000.
- Updated Black Lives Matter event at ETSU crashed by man in gorilla mask
- Bristol, Va. woman charged with attempted robbery
- Sullivan County postal worker takes plea deal in hidden mail case
- Updated Senators ask Justice Department to investigate EpiPen maker
- California limits travel to North Carolina over LGBT law