WASHINGTON COUNTY, VA - A local hops grower is showing off his first commercial harvest.
Justen Dick owns Kelly Ridge farms. Dick says it's an exciting time to be producing hops because of all the local breweries that are opening.
He says right now they're trying different harvest techniques to find out which method produces the best flavor and quality. "I've been waiting a couple of years now to actually get all this moving forward and actually have something in my hands that we can learn from." says Dick.
Having local farmers means area breweries can now offer customers "wet-hopped beer" which produces a different flavor.
Without local growers, hops are shipped in and wet hops can spoil quickly.
- New Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin