WASHINGTON COUNTY, TENN. - An inmate has died while being held in the Washington County, Tennessee Detention Center.
According to Washington County Sheriff Ed Graybeal, 22-year-old inmate Stewart Peppers, of Johnson City, died late Monday afternoon after he was taken to the hospital by ambulance.
Peppers was being held on various charges including aggravated assault, drug possession and vandalism.
The Sheriff's Office says the investigation has now been turned over to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. Officers say no foul play is suspected.
- New Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- New Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31