WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - Due to heavy rain, the National Weather Service says rescues were underway Wednesday morning along Rush Creek Road.
Washington County, Virginia. Officials say some vehicles were stranded along the road.
Smyth County dispatchers say Chilhowie's fire department was asked to assist with evacuations.
According to the National Weather Service, flooding was reported on Rush Creek Road just after 1:00 Wednesday morning. They say over two inches of rain fell across the eastern part of Washington County.
Washington County, Virginia Sheriff Fred Newman says one family had to rescued from their home at their request.
Officials warn that runoff could still cause flooding in low-lying areas through Wednesday morning.
Authorities remind you to not drive on flooded roads.
- New Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- New Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31