WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - You may see some traffic delays if you're going to the South Holston Lake.
VDOT is working to replace Avens Bridge in Washington County, Virginia. VDOT engineer Marty Halloway says the bridge was built in 1949 and was in overall bad condition.
We learned the new bridge will be longer than the one that's in place now.
VDOT crews are urging drivers and boaters to use extra caution because traffic patterns will be changing, "Motorist can expect delays. We're at a critical time where we're starting to set steal so we will have some times of delivery and up to 15 to 20 minute delays. Boaters can expect different changing in traffic patterns where we'll have a 250 foot waterway to pass underneath the bridge and see some minor changes as we go through," adds Halloway.
VDOT says it will cost around 16.2 million dollars which will be paid for through federal funds.\They hope to have the project completed by August of next year.
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting
- Tri Cities Regional Airport celebrates completion of construction