WASHINGTON COUNTY, Tenn. - An 86-year-old Jonesborough man is being charged with aggravated sexual battery after deputies say he raped a child for a period of three years.
The Washington County, Tennessee Sheriff's Office arrested Robert Lee Green. Detectives tell us the child who is 12, was known to Green.
Deputies say after enduring years of alleged abuse, the child told an adult, who then alerted the Washington County Sheriff's Office. "It's awful. Any time there's a child that's been abused or molested, it's always bad, anytime a child has been abused," says Shawn Judy with the Washington County, Tennessee Sheriff's Office.
At the elderly man's Cherokee Mountain Road home, his son quickly came to his defense, telling us that Green is innocent. "I think it's all a mistake," says Teddie Green.
The sheriff's office says the child has been placed into foster care, and that the Department of Children's Services is investigating as well.
- Updated Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Updated Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone
- Updated Retailers already looking ahead to Halloween
- Updated Kids given farm lessons at "Ag in the Classroom"
- New Animal Shelter Thrift Store in Johnson City closing in Dec