The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) recently awarded three contracts valued at $18.1 million for the Bristol District, including a contract to replace the Route 670 Avens Bridge in Washington County. The Bristol District consists of 12 counties in southwestern Virginia: Washington, Smyth, Lee, Scott, Russell, Buchanan, Tazewell, Bland, Wise, Dickenson, Grayson, and Wythe.
Orders Construction Company, Inc., St. Albans, W. Va., received a $16.2 million contract to replace the Route 670 Avens Bridge over South Holston Lake in Washington County.
The project consists of building a new bridge adjacent to the current bridge. The contractor will begin moving in equipment and materials this month, with more substantial work expected to begin in November.
Two additional bridge projects were also awarded to contractors in our region:
- A $1.5 million contract was awarded to Estes Brothers Construction, Inc., Jonesville, to replace a portion of the Route 19 bridges over Little River in Tazewell County, located 2.65-mile from the Russell County line.
- A $382,758 contract was awarded to Crossroads Bridge Inc., Marion, to replace two bridges along Route 612 (Kimberling Road) in Bland County, one over Kimberling Creek and one over Sulfur Spring Fork.
- Updated Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31
- Updated Tennessee's Education Commissioner visits local schools
- Updated Medical treatment of accused Volunteer Parkway shooter burdensome
- Updated Tropical Storm Hermine forms in the Gulf of Mexico
- New Trio accused of murder, burning body appear in court