WASHINGTON COUNTY, Tenn. - A carbon monoxide leak is being blamed for an evacuation at a local detention center.
We're told prisoners in two cell blocks at the Washington County, Tennessee Detention Center started complaining of nausea and headaches around 8:30 Sunday morning.
Washington County, Tennessee Sheriff Ed Graybeal says a few inmates lost consciousness.
We're told one prisoner was taken to the hospital, but he was expected to be ok.
Sheriff Ed Graybeal says the leak was caused by a faulty water heater. The problem has since been fixed and inmates are back in their cells.
Sheriff Graybeal says the quick reaction by emergency crews saved 51 lives.
- Updated Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31
- Updated Tennessee's Education Commissioner visits local schools
- Updated Medical treatment of accused Volunteer Parkway shooter burdensome
- Updated Tropical Storm Hermine forms in the Gulf of Mexico
- New Trio accused of murder, burning body appear in court