WASHINGTON CO., Va. - Every six minutes an underground utility line is damaged because someone began digging and didn't check to see what was underground, like a natural gas line.
That's why the month of April has been set aside as national safe digging month.
The process only takes a few minutes and could save you thousands of dollars in damage and you may even save a life.
The folks at Atmos Energy are asking you to call before you dig. It's a simple phone call, just dial 8-1-1 and set up an appointment for someone to come out and mark any utility that might be buried where you plan to dig.
- Select children's tickets to be $10 for Cup Series events at Bristol Motor Speedway
- Public invited to give input on proposed hospital merger
- Mount Caramel police officer suspended on first day back to work
- Updated Voter registrars work to clarify restored voting rights
- Additional charges given to Sullivan County man charged with rape