WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - Virginia State Police have released the names of the three people killed in a crash on Interstate 81 in Washington County, Virginia Tuesday evening.
The Toyota's male driver, Abenezer D. Thewdros, 19, of Arlington, Va., and two male passengers, Abel N. Ayele, 19, of Arlington, Va., and Alemu S. Ameha, 25, of Alexandria, Va., all died at the scene. A third male passenger, Arketsadik Yilma, 19, of Alexandria, Va., was flown by Virginia State Police Med-Flight helicopter to Bristol Regional Medical Center for treatment of serious injuries.
Officers said the crash happened when a Toyota car struck a tractor trailer in the shoulder of the southbound lanes.
The tractor trailer was parked due to a flat tire.
At the time of the crash Virginia State Police said the tractor trailer driver and passenger were walking back to the cab of the big rig when the car struck the back end of the 18-wheeler.
Neither the tractor-trailer driver nor his passenger was injured.
The crash remains under investigation. Alcohol does not appear to have been a factor in the crash.
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia