DAMASCUS, Va. - A family is safe but needs a new place to stay after a fire in southwest Virginia. The fire started on 23914 Jeb Stewart Highway around 1:00 a.m. Tuesday.
Damascus Fire Chief Ben Sanders says his department was on scene for three hours putting out the fire. Sanders said the fire started in a chimney and spread to the attic. The chimney had cracks that may have contributed to the fire.
Chief Sanders told News 5 the house is a total loss. The family was able to save some Christmas presents. The Red Cross is helping the three adults living at the house with temporary shelter and food.
- Updated Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane