WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - UPDATE: We have new facts on a deputy involved shooting in Washington County, Virginia.
Virginia State Police tell us just before noon on Friday, they received a call about shots fired during a domestic dispute at a home on Zion Church Road in Damascus.
We're told a Washington County deputy and VSP trooper responded to the scene.
Police say when the deputy went inside the home he found 56-year-old Michael Huffman inside. We're told Huffman was armed with a handgun, threatened to shoot the deputy, and was shot.
He was taken to Bristol Regional Medical Center where he later died.
VSP says the deputy and trooper were not injured. The incident remains under investigation.
ORIGINAL STORY: Washington County, Virginia Sheriff Fred Newman tells us a shooting is being investigated on Zion Church Road in Damascus.
There are few details, but Sheriff Newman tells us one person was shot. He also noted it is an officer-involved incident.
Virginia State Police are investigating.
We'll have more information as it's available.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson