JONESBOROUGH, Tenn. - The Tennessee Department of Transportation is hosting a public meeting next week to discuss a busy and dangerous intersection in Jonesborough.
The "Five Points" intersection where State Route 81, State Route 353, and Depot Street meet has been considered for improvements for years.
Town Administrator Bob Browning said it's the intersection with the most accidents with injuries in Jonesborough.
Browning told us the town is supporting TDOT's plan to put a traffic circle there.
That would mean removing a local grocery store, but Browning said it would improve safety.
"Those traffic circles, when done right, are really safer, and there may be some accidents, but they're almost always minor fender benders as opposed to the 'T-boning' and sending people to the hospital," said Browning.
Anyone interested in learning more is invited TDOT's informational meeting.
That will be held Thursday, January 17 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. at the Jonesborough Visitor's Center at 117 Boone Street.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- New School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- New Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon