A Southwest Virginia man has been arrested after officials say he was driving under the influence with a 3-year-old child in the vehicle.
The Washington County, Virginia Sheriff's Office says Nicholas James Ward of Raven, Va. left a businesses on the 15000 block of Lee Highway Friday night.
Deputies say he entered a public highway without stopping to check for traffic. Before stopping the van, deputies say they also observed other traffic violations committed by Ward.
Officials say a 3-year-old child was sitting on the passenger side of the vehicle without any type of child restraint.
They say ward was charged with driving under the influence, driving on a suspended license and felony disregard for a child's life. He's been released from the Southwest Virginia Regional Jail in Abingdon on an unsecured bond.
The Washington County Department of Social Service was contacted and the child was released to his mother.
- Kingsport Fire Dept. mobile units help FunFest goers beat the heat
- Ohio mother who lost daughter to drug overdose travels country, stops in Bristol
- BVU's Optinet employees attend board meeting to voice concerns
- Man charged following pursuit in Washington County, Virginia
- Police in search of burglars caught on camera