WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) recently awarded a $15 million contract to widen a section of Route 58 between Abingdon and Damascus in Washington County.
W-L Construction & Paving, Inc., Chilhowie, received the contract to widen 2.5 miles of Route 58 from just east of Route 638 (Lacy Drive) to Route 708 (Rhea Valley Road).
This is the third of four widening projects along Route 58 between Abingdon and Damascus. The most recent widening of Route 58 was completed in fall 2012 and was located between Watauga Road and Lacy Drive.
Work is anticipated to begin in mid-June and will be under construction through July 2015. Motorists can expect the possibility of periodic delays when work begins in June.
The fourth and final phase of widening between Abingdon and Damascus, located from the west Corporate Limits of Damascus to near Route 708 - Rhea Valley, is contingent on future funding for right of way and construction. The current estimate for the fourth phase is approximately $37 million.
- Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project