Washington County Virginia Sheriff's Office began their Operation Firecracker Thursday.
This operation is a way for the sheriff's department to arrest a large number of people who have outstanding warrants out for their arrest in the county.
It's similar to the method they use for drug round-up's in our area and a way to take people off the streets who are wanted for crimes.
Many of these crimes include: armed robberies, sexual assaults, larceny and probation violations.
Sheriff Fred Newman tells News 5 that with this operation they have already arrested or located 32 wanted criminals.
"These are persons that have been charged with felonies. People that certainly don't need to be out in our neighborhoods and communities, and a good opportunity with cooperative efforts of the persons seen here and others to be able to do that," adds Newman.
Over a hundred officers have assisted Washington County Sheriff's Office Thursday.
Sheriff Newman also tells News 5 that with the success they saw Thursday, they plan on doing similar operations like this in the future.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport