Washington County Virginia Sheriff's Office began their Operation Firecracker Thursday.
This operation is a way for the sheriff's department to arrest a large number of people who have outstanding warrants out for their arrest in the county.
It's similar to the method they use for drug round-up's in our area and a way to take people off the streets who are wanted for crimes.
Many of these crimes include: armed robberies, sexual assaults, larceny and probation violations.
Sheriff Fred Newman tells News 5 that with this operation they have already arrested or located 32 wanted criminals.
"These are persons that have been charged with felonies. People that certainly don't need to be out in our neighborhoods and communities, and a good opportunity with cooperative efforts of the persons seen here and others to be able to do that," adds Newman.
Over a hundred officers have assisted Washington County Sheriff's Office Thursday.
Sheriff Newman also tells News 5 that with the success they saw Thursday, they plan on doing similar operations like this in the future.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day