A Washington County, Virginia man charged in the murder of his girlfriend has a different story from investigators.
News 5's Olivia Bailey has learned that James Joseph Canter III, 25, told a magistrate that he came into the couple's home in the 30000 block of Hillman Highway and found Ashleigh Langbein in a pool of blood.
Canter was accompanied by family members when he came to the Southwest Virginia Regional Jail in Abingdon early Monday morning and told the official what happened, News 5 learned Tuesday.
That is when the magistrate called 911 and reported the situation.
Deputies arrived to the home after 3:30 a.m. on Monday and found the body of Langbein, 23, who is originally from Katy, Texas and a recent graduate of Emory & Henry College.
Investigators said in a report that Langbein was shot numerous times.
Canter is charged with second degree murder and use of a firearm in commission of a felony. Sheriff Fred Newman has not announced a motive in the case. Canter is being held without bond.
- Updated Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death