GLADE SRPING, Va. - The Washington County, Virginia Sheriff's Office said they have filed charges against the mother of a sixth-grade student they say brought a gun to Glade Spring Middle School on Monday.
Sheriff Fred Newman said Crystal Dawn Chaffin, 33, of Saltville, Virginia has been charged with reckless handling of a firearm. "Our investigation revealed the weapon was placed in the child's book bag over the weekend while the mother and child went into a store, apparently, rather than leave the handgun in the vehicle," stated Sheriff Newman.
Sheriff Newman said the gun was not loaded, but bullets were in the magazine.
The Washington County, Virginia Superintendent of Schools Brian Ratliff said the school will not make any immediate changes concerning overall school safety.
Chaffin's arraignment is set for December 18th.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Updated Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake