GLADE SRPING, Va. - The Washington County, Virginia Sheriff's Office said they have filed charges against the mother of a sixth-grade student they say brought a gun to Glade Spring Middle School on Monday.
Sheriff Fred Newman said Crystal Dawn Chaffin, 33, of Saltville, Virginia has been charged with reckless handling of a firearm. "Our investigation revealed the weapon was placed in the child's book bag over the weekend while the mother and child went into a store, apparently, rather than leave the handgun in the vehicle," stated Sheriff Newman.
Sheriff Newman said the gun was not loaded, but bullets were in the magazine.
The Washington County, Virginia Superintendent of Schools Brian Ratliff said the school will not make any immediate changes concerning overall school safety.
Chaffin's arraignment is set for December 18th.
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program