WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - Gregory Marlow, the man accused of beating a young girl to death has a long criminal record and has been in and out of jail dozens of times for charges like burglary, grand larceny and probation violations.
Sheriff Fred Newman says Marlow beat Leah Dye so badly, he broke her spine and tore her aorta, which caused her to bleed to death internally. "The initial story that he came up with and gave us is that he had fallen on the child and that what caused her injury and subsequent death," said Newman. "But that did not add up based on the autopsy report."
Marlow is due back in court for his preliminary hearing which has been set for March 6.
He is being held in the Southwest Regional jail without bond.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport