WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - Gregory Marlow, the man accused of beating a young girl to death has a long criminal record and has been in and out of jail dozens of times for charges like burglary, grand larceny and probation violations.
Sheriff Fred Newman says Marlow beat Leah Dye so badly, he broke her spine and tore her aorta, which caused her to bleed to death internally. "The initial story that he came up with and gave us is that he had fallen on the child and that what caused her injury and subsequent death," said Newman. "But that did not add up based on the autopsy report."
Marlow is due back in court for his preliminary hearing which has been set for March 6.
He is being held in the Southwest Regional jail without bond.
- Updated Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City