A Thursday night pursuit of three people in Washington County, Virginia, has ended in an arrest.
According to Sheriff Fred Newman, the ordeal began when deputies tried to stop a vehicle for a routine traffic stop but the driver sped off. Deputies pursued and chased the car to the Dollar General at Reedy Creek and Benhams Road.
That's when Newman said the suspects took off on foot. State police, K9 officers, Bristol, Virginia police, and a Medflight helicopter in the hunt.
The driver, 34-year-old Robert James Renfro of Abingdon, was arrested and charged with driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. He was taken to the Abingdon facility of the Southwest Virginia Regional Jail where he is being held without bond.
The passengers were not charged.
- New Fire chief rescues crash victim, then suffers heart attack
- New Tazewell County grant to help workers transition from coal jobs
- Kingsport veteran and his mother receive Holston Habitat home
- Tractor Trailer crash on I-81 causing delays
- Big Brothers Big Sisters mentors give Christmas presents to their mentees