It was an emotional day for one Washington County principal. Teresa Leonard said goodbye to students and teachers for a final time at Boones Creek Elementary.
Leonard wrapped up her 44th year as an educator on Friday. She spent 25 years as the principal or assistant principal of Boones Creek Elementary School. Prior to her time as the principal, she taught at the school. She also taught at Gray Elementary and Daniel Boone High School.
Leonard's former co-worker Brenda Brown told us she's leaving a big hole to be filled.
"She gets to know the parents," said Brown. "She has an open door, when there's any kind of need she'll go help whoever needs help. I mean she has most of the children here. She has taught the parents and the grandparents so the roots are going deep."
Leonard's co-workers also described her as an active community volunteer, well deserving of her retirement.
- Hawkins Co. commission halfway to $40 wheel tax increase
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment