GLADE SPRING, Va. - A local school started the day with an abundance of security and extra safety steps.
The principal at Patrick Henry High School sent a letter to parents on Thursday after staff found vandalism and references to Friday's date but he said there was no threat.
The building was searched Thursday night and Friday morning, extra law enforcement officers were on hand Friday.
Students were also asked only bring items necessary for class and not to bring any book bags or gym bags with them on Friday.
A reward is being offered to find the vandal.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event