Kmart in Abingdon has joined the growing list of closures of the department store chain which has shuttered hundreds of locations in the past two years, its parent company announced Thursday.
The store located at 300 Towne Centre Drive was included among 45 Kmart stores and 18 Sears stores that are scheduled to close their doors in late January 2018, the report from Sears Holdings said.
"It's important to note that these stores will remain open to serve members during the holiday season. Eligible associates impacted by these store closures will receive severance and will have the opportunity to apply for open positions at area Kmart or Sears stores," the statement said.
Liquidation sales will begin at the Abingdon location as early as November 9, the report said.
- Updated Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- New Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone
- Updated "Wreaths Across America" underway at the Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Updated Students helping fellow students at Science Hill High School
- UPDATE: Brentwood Academy lawsuit dismissed; Judge orders arrest of attorney