A new business in Jonesborough is one step closer to opening up, but still needs to clear a few hurdles.
Steven Callahan plans to open a distillery in the Old Salt House in downtown Jonesborough, but needs the town to approve some zoning changes.
Town administrator Bob Browning tells us the Board of Mayor and Alderman approved the creation of a "distillery overlay zone " to the existing zoning lines, but says there is still some work to be done. "We looked at it pretty carefully. There's some criteria that have to bet met in the overlay zone ordinances," he said. "They have to submit a site plan that deals with parking, pedestrian access, odor control and other things like that. We feel like we set up a pretty good process for someone to go through that protects the people around as well as allows for a quality facility to be developed."
Browning says the the second reading and public hearing will take place in March.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial