WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - Due to heavy rain, the National Weather Service says rescues were underway Wednesday morning along Rush Creek Road.
Washington County, Virginia. Officials say some vehicles were stranded along the road.
Smyth County dispatchers say Chilhowie's fire department was asked to assist with evacuations.
According to the National Weather Service, flooding was reported on Rush Creek Road just after 1:00 Wednesday morning. They say over two inches of rain fell across the eastern part of Washington County.
Washington County, Virginia Sheriff Fred Newman says one family had to rescued from their home at their request.
Officials warn that runoff could still cause flooding in low-lying areas through Wednesday morning.
Authorities remind you to not drive on flooded roads.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon