DAMASCUS, Virginia - Parents of students at Damascus Middle School got an email Monday stating that a gun and ammunition was found in a student's backpack:
This morning it was discovered that an unloaded handgun and some ammunition were in a student's bookbag at school. The items were confiscated without incident.
The school resource officers, central office personnel, and parents of the student involved have been notified.
Please be assured that everyone at Damascus Middle School is safe, and this situation continues to be handled in an appropriate and careful manner.
Washington County, VA School District Superintendent, Jim Sullivan, said the student showed the shells to other students Monday morning and one of the students reported the incident.
Sullivan said a small ..22 caliber handgun with shells were found in the backpack.
He stressed students were in no imminent danger and said the school followed proper protocol. He said the school teaches students to, "Say what you see. Tell what you know."
Sullivan said the student is now suspended.
- Updated Kingsport City Schools unveils new DB Excel facility
- Updated Northeast State Student Veterans of America raising awareness about veteran suicides
- New Bluff City Rescue launches 'Buck for a Truck' campaign
- New Grant deadline approaches to expand Birthplace of Country Music Museum
- Women's Facebook warning goes viral