WASHINGTON COUNTY, Tenn. - A former Washington County, Tennessee teacher has been charged with simple assault.
Larry Manis was booked into the detention center Monday afternoon and was given a $2,500 bond.
Manis has been accused of physically and mentally abusing the son of Daniel Stiel when Manis was a special education teacher at the Jonesborough Middle School and Stiel's son was in his classroom.
Manis was suspended in October while the school system and law enforcement looked into the incident. Manis has since retired from teaching.
At a school board meeting in July, school superintendent Ron Dykes said those allegations of abuse were reported to, and investigated by, the appropriate authorities and that no wrongdoing had been found.
- Historic U.S. Army recruitment effort increase underway
- More sponsors for measure to repeal HB2, keep restrictions
- West Virginia Senate would penalize sharing explicit images
- Updated Authorities investigating Carter County pharmacy armed robbery
- Tennessee man faces negligent homicide charge in toddler's death