ABINGDON, Va. - Food City's President Steven Smith passed the keys of the old Food City headquarters to the Barter Theater.
The building on Trigg Street in Abingdon has been sitting empty since Food City moved their corporate office to the site of the old Johnston Memorial Hospital.
Barter theater will use the facility for rehearsal space and costume storage while it renovates its 100-year-old production building.
It will also use the space for its youth academy.
The theater's Artistic Director says the donation will save them hundreds of thousands of dollars.
"It has an immediate impact for us because we're renovating a building and we need to move people out of that building while we're renovating," Explained Rick Rose. "So, for the next six or seven months, this will save us about $250,000 just from our annual operating funds."
Rose says they will begin to move into the Trigg Street facility next week.
- New Local reaction to Girl Scouts' message: don't make your daughter hug relatives this holiday
- Black Friday preparations: Retailers gearing up for shopping rush
- Thanksgiving travel creating high traffic; law enforcement taking extra measures
- Report: Man posts threat on Facebook planning to kill everyone in Knoxville with bomb
- Tennessee Highway Patrol encourages safe driving during holiday