JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - A man is dead after Johnson City Police say he flipped his car several times, but police are still trying to figure out what led to the violent wreck.
William Joey Penix was announced dead at the scene when police arrived around 7 p.m. Thursday.
Police say they found his 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup truck off of East Oakland Avenue.
At this time, police are unsure why he crashed but early investigations revealed it might be related to speeding.
The investigation continues to find out if Penix had drugs or alcohol in his system.
The wreck happened just four days after his birthday.
- New Four months after Johnson City murder, still no suspect
- Updated UPDATE: Suspected Kingsport killer gets $250K bond
- UPDATE: Fresh leads develop in Christmas Eve murder
- Kingsport City Schools unveils new DB Excel facility
- Northeast State Student Veterans of America raising awareness about veteran suicides