JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - A man is dead after Johnson City Police say he flipped his car several times, but police are still trying to figure out what led to the violent wreck.
William Joey Penix was announced dead at the scene when police arrived around 7 p.m. Thursday.
Police say they found his 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup truck off of East Oakland Avenue.
At this time, police are unsure why he crashed but early investigations revealed it might be related to speeding.
The investigation continues to find out if Penix had drugs or alcohol in his system.
The wreck happened just four days after his birthday.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson
- Updated Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event