WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - You may see some traffic delays if you're going to the South Holston Lake.
VDOT is working to replace Avens Bridge in Washington County, Virginia. VDOT engineer Marty Halloway says the bridge was built in 1949 and was in overall bad condition.
We learned the new bridge will be longer than the one that's in place now.
VDOT crews are urging drivers and boaters to use extra caution because traffic patterns will be changing, "Motorist can expect delays. We're at a critical time where we're starting to set steal so we will have some times of delivery and up to 15 to 20 minute delays. Boaters can expect different changing in traffic patterns where we'll have a 250 foot waterway to pass underneath the bridge and see some minor changes as we go through," adds Halloway.
VDOT says it will cost around 16.2 million dollars which will be paid for through federal funds.\They hope to have the project completed by August of next year.
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia