Local law enforcement is stepping up patrols just in time for the holiday travel rush.
We spoke with Washington County, Virginia sheriff Fred Newman, who says there will be six to eight more patrol units out for the July 4 holiday weekend.
Sheriff Newman tells us they will be out looking for people speeding or driving under the influence.
He also says the goal is to keep everyone on the road safe. "Just to be careful, that's the big thing. Typically when there's a lot more people out on the road ways driving then there's the possibility of more accidents and things of that nature," he said. "We want to do our part as a sheriff's office to reduce the number of accidents and also slow people down."
Sheriff Newman also reminds drivers to be extra cautious this weekend with the potentially wet road conditions.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial