WASHINGTON COUNTY, Tenn. - UPDATE: The rape charges against Carlos Enrique Alegria were dropped on December 18, 2013. Click here for more details.
A Washington County, Tennessee deputy is being praised after a fast response stopped a possible rape in progress.
According to the sheriff's office, the victim of the attack called dispatch and left the line open.
Deputy Darrell Collins responded to the scene and saw a vehicle pulled over on the side of the road. Collins stopped the attack and arrested Carlos Enrique Alegria.
Deputies tell us he is being charged with aggravated rape and resisting arrest.
Authorities say the victim was taken to Johnson City Medical Center.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next