WASHINGTON COUNTY, Tenn. - A carbon monoxide leak is being blamed for an evacuation at a local detention center.
We're told prisoners in two cell blocks at the Washington County, Tennessee Detention Center started complaining of nausea and headaches around 8:30 Sunday morning.
Washington County, Tennessee Sheriff Ed Graybeal says a few inmates lost consciousness.
We're told one prisoner was taken to the hospital, but he was expected to be ok.
Sheriff Ed Graybeal says the leak was caused by a faulty water heater. The problem has since been fixed and inmates are back in their cells.
Sheriff Graybeal says the quick reaction by emergency crews saved 51 lives.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City