WASHINGTON CO., Va. - Every six minutes an underground utility line is damaged because someone began digging and didn't check to see what was underground, like a natural gas line.
That's why the month of April has been set aside as national safe digging month.
The process only takes a few minutes and could save you thousands of dollars in damage and you may even save a life.
The folks at Atmos Energy are asking you to call before you dig. It's a simple phone call, just dial 8-1-1 and set up an appointment for someone to come out and mark any utility that might be buried where you plan to dig.
- Updated VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program