WASHINGTON CO., Va. - Every six minutes an underground utility line is damaged because someone began digging and didn't check to see what was underground, like a natural gas line.
That's why the month of April has been set aside as national safe digging month.
The process only takes a few minutes and could save you thousands of dollars in damage and you may even save a life.
The folks at Atmos Energy are asking you to call before you dig. It's a simple phone call, just dial 8-1-1 and set up an appointment for someone to come out and mark any utility that might be buried where you plan to dig.
- Updated Figure skater Scott Hamilton diagnosed with 3rd brain tumor
- Life Care agrees to pay $145 million for role in false claims to Medicare, TRICARE
- Trial in Carter County begins for man accused of trying to kill deputy while in jail
- Third suspect in Nashville tourist's death arrested
- Virginia city may consider "In God We Trust" motto for its city hall