JONESBORO, Tenn. - Officials with Buffalo Mountain Camp in Jonesborough are focusing on developing a new camping ministry, more than 19 months after the camp was heavily damaged by a flash flood.
The camp, which provided faith-based summer camps, environmental education and retreats for area youth, sustained damage to its main lodge and most of its camping cabins on Aug. 5, 2012. All camp operations were suspended in 2013.
Reports indicate that camp officials and a consultant are now considering other locations for the camp due to the extent of the damage.
In the search for properties, officials have put a high priority on a naturally wooded site readily accessible to campers in Kingsport and Johnson City with buildable acreage outside a flood plain, preferably with a water feature.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon