WASHINGTON COUNTY, Virginia - The Washington County Sheriff's Department arrested Timothy James Mitchler, 26, of Abingdon, on Saturday in connection with the shooting death of his brother-in-law.
Deputies were called out to the home on Whites Mill Road around 1:13 a.m. for a domestic disturbance and a gunshot victim. According to the press release, when officers arrived, they found the victim dead from a single gunshot wound.
Mitchler is charged with second degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
"Based on the investigation, it appears that both men, who were brother-in-laws, had been consuming alcohol and a physical altercation between the two ensued. The accused, apparently, retrieved a firearm, a struggle began, and the weapon discharged, striking the victim," stated Sheriff Newman.
Mitchler was taken to the Abingdon Facility of the Southwest Virginia Regional Jail, where he was held without bond.
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway