GILES COUNTY, Va. - We now know the name of the man who was shot and killed by a Ppearisburg, Virginia police officer.
According to the Virginia State Police, that shooting happened around 3 p.m. on Sunday.
State police tell News 5 that 47-year-old Thomas N. Saunders was stopped in the town of Pearisburg. They say Saunders got out of his vehicle and pointed a gun at an officer; the officer then shot Saunders.
He was taken to a local hospital, were he later died.
The Virginia State Ppolice Bureau of Criminal Investigation's police shooting investigative team is looking into the incident.
- Updated Southwest Virginia man dies after being hit by car
- Hawkins EMS remains only service during feasibility study
- College students voice opinions on presidential debate
- Bristol, Tenn. household divided over presidential election
- Sale of the old mill property still planning to go through after fire