RICHMOND, Va. - The Commonwealth's unemployment rate is holding steady below the national average.
The Virginia Employment Commission says the February rate was 5.6 percent, which is the same as January's rate. It is also down from 5.9 percent in February 2012.
The Commission says the unemployment rate in Virginia has steadily fallen since it peaked at 7.4 percent from December 2009 until March 2010.
The Virginia rate has held below the national rate for a while. According to the U.S. Labor Department, the national unemployment rate has now fallen to a four-year low of 7.7 percent. That's just down from 7.9 percent in January.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin