RICHMOND, Va. - The Commonwealth's unemployment rate is holding steady below the national average.
The Virginia Employment Commission says the February rate was 5.6 percent, which is the same as January's rate. It is also down from 5.9 percent in February 2012.
The Commission says the unemployment rate in Virginia has steadily fallen since it peaked at 7.4 percent from December 2009 until March 2010.
The Virginia rate has held below the national rate for a while. According to the U.S. Labor Department, the national unemployment rate has now fallen to a four-year low of 7.7 percent. That's just down from 7.9 percent in January.
- Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project