RICHMOND, Va. - The Commonwealth's unemployment rate is holding steady below the national average.
The Virginia Employment Commission says the February rate was 5.6 percent, which is the same as January's rate. It is also down from 5.9 percent in February 2012.
The Commission says the unemployment rate in Virginia has steadily fallen since it peaked at 7.4 percent from December 2009 until March 2010.
The Virginia rate has held below the national rate for a while. According to the U.S. Labor Department, the national unemployment rate has now fallen to a four-year low of 7.7 percent. That's just down from 7.9 percent in January.
- New Johnson County woman recovering after vicious dog attack
- New Law enforcement search for dangerous inmate that escaped from local jail
- New Johnson City woman honored by Girl Scouts of the Southern Appalachians
- Updated Johnson City Cardinals may break 20 year attendance record
- Updated Local bank holding 5K run to raise money for Niswonger Children's Hospital