RICHMOND, Va. - The Commonwealth's unemployment rate is holding steady below the national average.
The Virginia Employment Commission says the February rate was 5.6 percent, which is the same as January's rate. It is also down from 5.9 percent in February 2012.
The Commission says the unemployment rate in Virginia has steadily fallen since it peaked at 7.4 percent from December 2009 until March 2010.
The Virginia rate has held below the national rate for a while. According to the U.S. Labor Department, the national unemployment rate has now fallen to a four-year low of 7.7 percent. That's just down from 7.9 percent in January.
- Updated Bristol, Va. woman charged with attempted robbery
- Updated Tenn. House Clerk accused of rude conduct
- Binge-drinking UMass student nearly dies in Pennsylvania
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation