Unemployment in the Commonwealth of Virginia is holding steady below the national average.
The Virginia Employment Commission says the state's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 5.6 percent in January.
That's down from 6 percent a year ago but the same as it was in December 2012.
According to the U.S. Labor Department, the national unemployment rate ticked up to 7.9 percent in January.
Rates increased in half of U.S. states, fell in only eight states and were unchanged in 17.
- New Previously missing Russell County woman found unharmed in Georgia
- Updated Authorities searching for missing Russell County woman
- Major decision expected Monday in relation to proposed Gray methadone clinic
- Updated One dead, one seriously injured in Smyth County hit-and-run
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims