Unemployment in the Commonwealth of Virginia is holding steady below the national average.
The Virginia Employment Commission says the state's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 5.6 percent in January.
That's down from 6 percent a year ago but the same as it was in December 2012.
According to the U.S. Labor Department, the national unemployment rate ticked up to 7.9 percent in January.
Rates increased in half of U.S. states, fell in only eight states and were unchanged in 17.
- Updated State Police: Man killed in Wise County, VA crash
- New Former Derby, Preakness winner Charismatic dies
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy