CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - A vigil will be held this week in Albemarle County to honor transportation employees killed in roadway work zones.
The Virginia Department of Transportation says the vigil is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday at the VDOT Workers' Memorial on eastbound Interstate 64 on the east side of Afton Mountain.
Speakers include Virginia Secretary of Transportation Aubrey Layne Jr. and DRIVE SMART Virginia executive director Janet Brooking.
National Work Zone Awareness Week begins Monday. This year's theme is "Work Zone Speed: A Costly Mistake."
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway