RICHMOND, Va. - Virginia Republican State Sen. Harry Blevins is retiring from the seat he has held for a dozen years.
The 77-year-old Blevins announced today his retirement will be effective August 5th, with two years left on his term.
That sets up an August special election in Blevins' Chesapeake-based district for the seat he has held since 2001.
Blevins was a member of the house for three years before winning a special election in 2001 to succeed Randy Forbes, who had been elected to congress.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin