RICHMOND, Va. - Virginia Republican State Sen. Harry Blevins is retiring from the seat he has held for a dozen years.
The 77-year-old Blevins announced today his retirement will be effective August 5th, with two years left on his term.
That sets up an August special election in Blevins' Chesapeake-based district for the seat he has held since 2001.
Blevins was a member of the house for three years before winning a special election in 2001 to succeed Randy Forbes, who had been elected to congress.
- Red carpet rolled out in Bristol for the movie premiere of 'Believe'
- Rime ice caps area mountain tops just days after record highs
- Hundreds supported breast cancer at Tri-Cities Race for the Cure
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy