RICHMOND, Va. - Virginia Republican State Sen. Harry Blevins is retiring from the seat he has held for a dozen years.
The 77-year-old Blevins announced today his retirement will be effective August 5th, with two years left on his term.
That sets up an August special election in Blevins' Chesapeake-based district for the seat he has held since 2001.
Blevins was a member of the house for three years before winning a special election in 2001 to succeed Randy Forbes, who had been elected to congress.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next