VIRGINIA - The number of deadly crashes across the Commonwealth this holiday weekend dropped from last year.
In all, eight people lost their lives in eight separate crashes. Last year, nine people died in crashes across the state. Virginia State Police credit the drop in deaths to a new program that kicked off around midnight Thursday.
One of the crashes happened in Scott County, Virginia.
Of the eight people that died, seven were not safely buckled up.
- Updated Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire