VIRGINIA - The number of deadly crashes across the Commonwealth this holiday weekend dropped from last year.
In all, eight people lost their lives in eight separate crashes. Last year, nine people died in crashes across the state. Virginia State Police credit the drop in deaths to a new program that kicked off around midnight Thursday.
One of the crashes happened in Scott County, Virginia.
Of the eight people that died, seven were not safely buckled up.
- Updated Bristol, Va. woman charged with attempted robbery
- Updated Tenn. House Clerk accused of rude conduct
- Updated Binge-drinking UMass student nearly dies in Pennsylvania
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation