RICHMOND, Va. - Officials of the Commonwealth of Virginia are warning about a new email scam that promises a big inheritance from a deceased relative.
The Treasury Department says the fake email's sender is listed as an auditor with the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrator. The person's name is Alexis James, but the Association says no one works for them under that name.
The message promises a large amount of money that can be claimed after giving detailed personal information. State officials say the information is usually used to steal the victim's identity.
The Treasury Department says state and federal unclaimed property programs will never contact property owners through email.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next