A 20-person crew of wild-land firefighters from the Virginia Department of Forestry is on its way to Salt Lake City, Utah, to help fight wildfires burning in the west.
The crew of 18 men and two women will travel to Salt Lake City and then be dispatched to one of the many wildfires burning in the region.
The task is very dangerous due to the high winds and low humidity, but the Department of Forestry says the firefighters are well-trained and prepared for the challenge.
The crew is expected to be out west for at least two weeks.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next